My blogging experience

Currently I do not use blogging in my classroom. As I am new at my work, I am in conversations with the principal in order to build more specific policies about IT integration in instruction.
But I had used bolgs in other school with students of grade 11. We held a space to support the traditional setting of instruction that was about news of the world. Students work through different news at different moments of the semester. It was a space for interaction between students and between students and me. There I posted deadlines, course materials, rubrics of evaluation. Students posted news and commentaries about the news posted by their peers. The platform that I used was Bligoo. It was suitable for me and my students because it functions as a group blog or social network. It had a messaging system were students and me could be in touch if any doubt about the news or class content appeared. Also I could manage my students’ membership role (authors, administrators, only post commentaries, etc.) and care for their security by having control of their interactions through the site.
Today I am planning to use edublogs for a course that I will hold in a graduate program. I will use this platform because it allows me to create courses in a free format (the university is not providing funding for purchasing a blog platform) and it functions also as a group blog. Its features are very similar to WordPress (which we have been using in this course and other MET courses), so it is easy to use and can promote students collaboration, ownership and construction of knowledge through the web. It is more professional than Bligoo and allows me to manage the membership role of my students.
Posted in: Week 07: Blogs